Sunday, 2 June 2013

Cherished possession

Over the years, I have had many collections. Books and fabric immediately spring to mind but there have been smaller items too. For instance, when I lived in Asia, I would purchase a small box from whichever country I was visiting to remind me of that happy visit. This collection got very out of hand as people observed that I liked boxes and I was overwhelmed with gifts of them from all parts of the globe.



Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to inherit a glass paperweight. I had always admired it as it sat atop a pile of correspondence on a relative's desk. By this time, there were quite a few paperweights in my collection, mainly made of cast iron that I loved for their intricate carvings and the memory of the ones that were used in the legal offices where I began my career. I only had to look at them to be immediately transported back to high desks, ink wells, and stacks of handwritten Wills and Divorce Petitions underneath heavy paperweights. This probably sounds very Dickensian and it was! 


I never tire of how this glass apple-shaped paperweight reflects the light and the amazing images it can portray. As it sits on my desk, the wood of the desk seems captured in the top half of the apple and if placed on a window ledge, gives a wholly unexpected view of the garden. It sits quite comfortably in the hand, though rather heavy, is not of any intrinsic value but to me so very precious. When I had my recent cull of possessions, I couldn't bear to part with it for it reminds me not only of a relative I loved, but also stirs within me some very treasured memories.

If you would like to read some more Precious stories, why don't you pop on over to visit Sian at From High in the Sky for Storytelling Sunday 3, Pick Your Precious? You may even have a story that you would like to share. You will be made most welcome.

Apologies too if you have popped in here recently. I have been laid low with a nasty viral infection from which I am only now surfacing. It seems you have all been super busy in my absence and I have a lot of catching up to do. There seems to have been a swap of Very Small Things that the amazing Sian organised. How could I have missed that ...

Enjoy what remains of the weekend.

16 comments:

Chipper Newman said...

I love your paper weight. I think I would leave it on the window ledge to see the world from a different view every day :-)

Sian said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been laid low. Funny how these things can happen after a period of upheaval..definitely a warning sign to be kind to yourself and take it easy!

Your paperweight does indeed look like a lovely thing. I can imagine its feel in my hand. Lovely!

Jennie Hart said...

It is a lovely object and useful. I love the idea of collecting boxes. I am glad to hear you are feeling better too.

Louise said...

a lovely and useful precious. Sorry to hear you have not been well. Take it easy x

Becky said...

Sorry to hear that you have been poorly, but glad you are starting to feel better. I love the paperweight :-)

Missus Wookie said...

Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you are recovered now.

What a lovely thing - I like unexpected reflections and views and can see me glancing through that paperweight often.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful paperweight! So sorry to hear you've been ill, but glad you are feeling better. Sending prayers for continued recovery!

Barbara Eads said...

I, too love how you can see right through the glass apple. What a perfect momento of a relative.

Sheena said...

Hope you are fully recovered now x
I love the view of the world through the paperweight.

Ladkyis said...

all the stress from the upheaval is over so your body can relax and let down its guard. It is something everyone experiences. I love your paperweight, it looks so beautiful and I am sure is one of those things people simply have to touch.

scrappyjacky said...

I just love the view of the garden through the apple.

Jennie said...

Oh but its beautiful! No wonder it's precious. I am so sorry to read you have been unwell, and hope you are much better now. Thank you for sharing. J x

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love your apple. It's so beautiful.
Rinda

S said...

What lovely reflections on your reflective precious - I bet it feels wonderfully solid and smooth in your hand too.

Miriam said...

I'm sorry you have been poorly, hope you will be recovered by now. Your paperweight is absolutely beautiful, I just love the reflections in it. Precious indeed.

alexa said...

That is such a stunning photo of your apple and what it captures! So sorry you have been poorly :(. I am a ittle late getting here and see it is a while since you posted, so hoping all is well with you ...