Sunday, 5 May 2013

More than Precious

For a myriad of reasons, I have found myself unable to blog for over a month. There have been medical appointments with my younger daughter; moving out of my home into a granny annexe; helping my elder daughter and family move into my house, just to name a few. I have missed you all, especially participating in Storytelling Sunday and Simply a Moment. One of the difficulties was having no access to the internet for all of that time. Can you imagine how frustrating that has been?

No doubt, over the coming weeks, I will be able to share with you some of the above experiences but today belongs to Storytelling Sunday over at Sian's place, From High In the Sky

Having to downsize from my home has not been as traumatic as I first thought it would be. By nature, I am a hoarder - 67 years of stuff to be shared out between my girls, taken to the charity shop, or dispatched to the tip - but, and this has surprised me, I now feel an enormous burden lifted from my shoulders. The space in my annexe is limited and I will have to live in a much more minimalistic way than ever before. This has set me free in ways I never thought possible. There is now only room for those most precious of belongings.

One of the things I had tucked away in a cupboard was a small suitcase that belonged to my late mother. For some reason, after she died, I just couldn't bring myself to sort out it's contents. Now, I had no choice. Just writing this down has created a lump in my throat. In one of the pockets, I found a small album containing some family photographs that I thought were lost in a fire at my mother's house. They were taken on my brother's wedding day. He and I standing together and my mum and lovely granny too. 

  

There was a seven year age gap between us. He tragically died when I was 23 and he 30 years old. This photograph means the world to me as does the Parker pen he gave me on my 21st birthday.



This pen has travelled the world with me. I could never bear to part with it. It brings him close. When he gave it to me he remarked that he hoped it would tell many stories and it has. He was a born story-teller and would have loved this Sunday opportunity to share a tale or two.

If you are a story lover and enjoy reading about precious things, do pop over to From High in the Sky and join in. You will be glad you did.

So happy to be back on line. Enjoy the long weekend.


11 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome back to blogland! It does sound like you have been busy, so I'm happy to read that all that sorting and moving has brought you a sense of freedom! How exciting that you found that photo - thanks for sharing a precious memory!

Gail said...

Oh such precious items indeed. Thanks so much for sharing them both with us.

Sian said...

..and we're so happy to have you back with us. What a moving story this is..the photos you thought had been lost, wow..and that feeling you have given us of being connected to another storyteller we would all have enjoyed meeting. I love it. Welcome back Irene!

Elizabeth said...

Irene, I am so happy you finally opened that suitcase and found the precious photo. I bet it brought tears to your eyes just as reading it brought them to mine. I know what you went through in moving. We are doing that now and have 38 years worth of "stuff" to sort through. My husband is a pack rat but, thankfully, I am not as sentimental as he is. I am finished sorting but he isn't because he can't bear to throw anything away!

Ladkyis said...

Such a brave thing to do and yet so liberating. Thank you for sharing. I feel encouraged to start de cluttering myself

Missus Wookie said...

So thankful you found those photographs in the suitcase and are feeling liberated by the decluttering. I'm starting that as we're downsizing or at least moving. Hope you are now settled and things are easier for you.

Jennie Hart said...

How lovely, that brought a lump to my throat. I too found my precious from a declutter and it has given me such happy memories. It takes bravery to look and sort out though doesn't it? You described it so well. I hope you have an equally rewarding month :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

So glad to have you back! What a wonderful, heart-warming story. I'm so happy you recovered this treasure trove of photos,
Rinda

Louise said...

a very moving story and what so very special treasures you had and didn't know about until now. Good to see you back x

Miriam said...

I am so pleased that you are finding the 'dreaded downsizing' so liberating and what a find! Your story is so moving, thank you for sharing it.

alexa said...

So lovely to see you again! And how lovely this opening your mum's case after all this time has given you a special gift ... Delighted the moving out/ in has been successful and I envy you the being minimalist!