Sunday, 6 January 2013

Precious Things

After weeks of family illnesses, culminating in my youngest daughter having an MRI scan on Christmas Eve, we are all finally emerging and ready to welcome in 2013. The first thing I must do is wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year, and to thank those of you who remembered me on your Christmas mailing list. It was lovely to receive hand-made cards in the post.

As it is the first Sunday of the Month, I am taking this opportunity to join in with Sian's happy band of followers for Storytelling Sunday Three. This year, Storytelling Sunday has a theme Pick Your Precious rather than, as in the past, Sian making a new suggestion for each month. We all have those special objects, things we cannot bear to part with, and this will afford us the chance to remember and write about them and share them with this lovely community.



For Christmas, I bought my granddaughter a sewing machine. Although she is only six years old, she has always shown enormous interest whenever I hand or machine stitch. To me, this is the loveliest thing.

In the past, I have mentioned on this blog that my mother was not a needlewoman, although she was a marvellous knitter. My skills as a stitcher are the precious gift of my grandmother, whose patience knew no bounds as she spent, not only hour upon hour of my childhood teaching me how to sew, but also the time to show me the beauty that stitches can make on fabric.

As I sat with my granddaughter and watched her face as she machine stitched her first strips of fabric, I had a real sense of the continuity of life. Watching her hands as the machine whirred away, brought to mind how carefully my grandmother watched mine all those years ago.

This is going to be a quilt for dolly's crib

How far we have progressed. I started out on a treadle machine and now my granddaughter is learning on a machine driven by electricity. I do hope that in the years to come, my granddaughter is able to teach her own family the wonderful art of stitch. There is something so reassuring about the continuity of these artistic skills.

And my precious object for January is, a photograph of my dear grandmother. I loved her so much.


It is the only photograph I have of her, and to me the most precious of things. We were in Jersey in the 1960's visiting my Aunt and Uncle, who lived in St Helier, and she is, of course, wearing a dress she made.

Now, do pop on over to Sian's place at From High in the Sky and enjoy the sharing of Precious things. She will be delighted to welcome you I am sure.

Until the next time...


20 comments:

Sian said...

First of all, Happy New Year Irene! I'm very much hoping for a healthy one for you and the family.

Your photo is certainly precious indeed - as are the other pictures in your post. Just look at those sparkling eyes - I don't think any of us would doubt that you have picked the perfect Christmas gift. I hope she enjoys it for a long time to come.

alexa said...

Your lovely story brings it home to mew again how precious photos are ... and how precious to be able to pass on or encourage a skill and an interest in the next generation. Your little grand-daughter will be remembering this sewing machine for the rest of her life too :).

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Irene, what a precious story. Your granddaughter looks thrilled to have sewn together the strips all by herself. I, too, was taught how to sew by my grandmother and my mother. Each one had a different way of teaching but my grandmother's was the best.

scrappyjacky said...

What a wonderful gift to give.....I received a sewing machine as a child....but my mum was such a great stitcher that I let her do it all....and it wasn't til I was an adult that I really started sewing.
Your granddaughter looks so enthusiastic.....hope it's the beginning of a life long love.

Jo said...

That is a great story, it's lovely to hear how hobbies, crafts and skills have been passed from one family member to another.

Melissa said...

What a lovely story. Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady & you are following in her footsteps!

Would you believe - Robbie got me a sewing machine for Christmas. I haven't sewn in years (& nothing really to speak of), but have decided to try a little here & there & on my scrapbook layouts.

Beverly said...

Irene, your story touched my heart so much and it is a precious gift you are passing down.

Cheri said...

What a beautiful story Irene. My children have no interest in any of my crafting endeavors. Maybe someday (in the distant future) I'll get to teach my grandchildren!

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Oh, Irene, what a lovely story. That photo of your grand-dauther is indeed, precious.

My grandmother taught me to sew too! She even let me use her treadle sewing machine when I was eight years old to make doll clothes. The memories of stitching with my grandma are some of my most treasured, so I can really relate to the story you have shared.

Alison said...

'The Circle of Life' indeed Irene! You obviously have wonderful memories of your grandmother, as I'm sure your lovely granddaughter will have of you! Wishing you a happy and healthier New Year!
Alison xx

Jennie said...

What a lovely story - photos are indeed precious - I love the look on your grand daughter's face - "candle eyes" we call it in my family. Thank you for sharing - it is a very great story to treasure. J xx

Barbara Eads said...

What a great story---reminds me of my first sewing machine. I just might have to write about that too! But more importantly, you have passed down the legacy started with your grandmother to your own little "precious"---and that she is! PS Thanks for stopping my blog. I'm honored to add yours to my list!

Miriam said...

Happy New Year Irene. Your story is so very beautiful, it has brought a lump to my throat. Your precious granddaughter with her sparking eyes and her beautiful pink sewing machine, the wonderful memories of your grandmother and then to have a photo! A precious post altogether.

Becky said...

A lovely story and a very precious photo indeed. I just love your granddaughter's face - she looks so excited and pleased with herself. These photos themselves are precious! Thanks for sharing and a happy new year to you. x

Karen said...

Your granddaugheter's expression is just marvelous! What a fabulous Christmas gift you've given her! And your photos---all of them---are precious indeed!

Sheena said...

What a lovely told story and your photo is very precious indeed.
I wrote about photos this month too 😊

Chipper said...

I think that Grandma's have more patience than mothers :-) I know my Grandma did (not that my mom was impatient, but Grandma had more). Grandmas are certainly very special and I am so happy that you have a photo, even if it is just one.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What fantastic things you are doing!
Rinda

S said...

What a wonderful tradition to carry forward from generation to generation. I enjoyed the look back with you and well as looking forward too. Such a lovely post!

Missus Wookie said...

A precious photo of your grandmother but also of your granddaughter, what a lovely story of tradition and skills being handed down. Definitely looks like a cozy quilt for dolly.