Tuesday, 15 January 2013

January Simply a Moment

Around the middle of the month, Alexa over at trimming the sails, invites you to participate in Simply a Moment. It's a wonderful opportunity to sit and contemplate, to write whatever comes to mind at that moment.

Yesterday, it snowed here in the South. I have lived in my present home for fifteen years and can only remember the snow settling on the ground about three times in all those years. As I was downloading my photographs earlier this morning, thoughts of the changing seasons came into my head and this is what I wrote.


  Digital template - Simply Tiffany Designs

Although I face some challenging moments, like the seasons, I must learn to adapt to my new environment. The most difficult aspect of the move into a smaller home is having to get rid of possessions that have been an intrinsic part of who I am for these past 67 years. It isn't easy to let go of the past but as I am doing so, I feel a lot lighter in spirit. There is a certain freedom in choosing what to keep and what to let go. And, luckily for me, my two daughters have been able to select items that are precious to them so vicariously, I still get to enjoy them too.

Having shared my moment, do give consideration to sharing yours. I know you will be made most welcome by Alexa and the ever expanding friendly bunch of bloggers who are joining in each month for Simply a Moment.

9 comments:

Alison said...

A lovely moment Irene.....I am wondering if you are moving to the bottom of the garden?!
Alison xx

Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed reading your moment about changing seasons. Also, we are preparing for a move (probably this summer) so I know how it is to get rid of possessions! Since I am still writing family stories, I decided not to participate in Simply a Moment this year.

Louise said...

a lovely moment....good luck with your choices x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Very moving.
Rinda

alexa said...

Your words and design ability are beautifully combined here, Irene ... I felt the poignancy and the hopefulness in equal measure. I wasn't sure if you had moved already (and clearing things which don't fit) or were facing the prospect of a move and preparing - but wishing you the joy of something new and enriching. Thank-you so much for sharing your moment :).

Ruth said...

A perfectly crafted moment. We too are looking to move house and while I'm all for downsizing the amount of "stuff" we have, The Brainy One is none too keen.

Missus Wookie said...

Another here decluttering - and having just helped my parents declutter theirs. The seasons change and times move - I hope your move goes smoothly. Glad your daughters are getting to enjoy the items and you get to see them do so :)

S said...

Change is always more difficult than we imagine it will be, but sometimes a new view can be the best blessing in the world. I'm sure your new home will be lovely for the specialness you feel about the selected few items you brought along. And it will be a joy to your children to have some of the hand-me-downs too.

Ladkyis said...

Exciting though, isn't it? to be starting another phase of life. If there are any things that wrench your heart to let go then phtograph them and do a layout for a special album and then when you get that missing it moment you can simply open the album look at the page and remember. Much easier to keep clean too.
A beautiful moment so filled with promise. Thank you for sharing.