Thursday, 15 November 2012

What's in a Name?

As you are driving around, do you find yourself looking out for unusual street names? 


Car drawing kindly provided by my granddaughter

On my travels, I usually find a name or something that amuses. Take the couple of names below. 





They were across the road from each other. Wouldn't we like to know how they got their names? What stories they might tell. Did Mrs Mouthey stand accused of gossiping and telling untruths and forevermore have to look across the road for punishment? Or, is it to do with the fact that lye is the smoke created by puffing marijuana. Oh, the things you can find by a quick internet search. 

When I lived in Hong Kong, I also collected street names along with interesting names of companies. My all time favourite was the Lo SLung Bra Company. That missing full stop after the S made all the difference! 

As my granddaughter was on a drawing bonanza, here's one of the family



and an upgraded people carrier now they are five!



I will be back later in the week when I will be joining in Simply a Moment, details of which can be found here over at simply alexa of trimming the sails. 

Hope your week is a happy one. 

5 comments:

Sian said...

I love this! The drawings are the perfect addition to a really nice little subject for a blog post. I think lye is also used in soap powder making - maybe there was factory or even a laundry? Round here we have a lot of streets named after people - we have their names now, but not anything more about them

Alison said...

Love the drawings Irene..and the new pics along the top of your Blog
Alison xx

Louise said...

oh yes we have come across a few! Nice drawings :)

alexa said...

Such a fun post! The sweet drawings add to the sparkly thoughts about the street names. Well spotted! We used to have solicitors in our town called Divine and Love. :).

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to pay more attention to street signs from now on. Such sweet little drawings. Maybe an artist in the making?