Sunday, 7 October 2012

Ahoy me hearties!

The theme for this month's Storytelling Sunday Two over at From High in the Sky is 'Let's dress up'. It would seem that I have a penchant for dressing up as a pirate...

In September/October 2005, I spent a month with my friends in Rhode Island. I had always wanted to experience Fall in New England and while I was there, they took me up to Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. I will never forget the colours of the foliage and seeing lots of covered bridges. It was breathtaking

During the visit, my friends had a fancy dress party to celebrate my forthcoming 60th birthday, and the birthday of their dear Aunt Roz. As my birthday is at the end of October, Halloween parties have been a fairly common theme throughout my life but nothing could have prepared me for the party they gave me. Everyone entered into the spirit of it, some of the costumes were amazing. My friend is the cute little 'blonde nurse' in the middle of this photograph.



Not knowing about the party in advance, I hadn't arrived prepared. On the day of the party, my friend took me to a local fabric store and I picked up some stripy fabric from a fabric bin, purchased some thread, went back to her house, got out the sewing machine ... and became a pirate. 


Aunt Roz and I shared a cake and as you can see below, my half of the cake even had an anchor or two iced on top.


Let's move on to 2006. That summer was spent sailing around the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean with friends. While on board, we had a party. We were anchored in a delightful bay off Ibiza and on the spur of the moment, decided to dress up for the occasion. Undaunted by the lack of available costumes, we cut up our food boxes to make eye-patches, blacked a few teeth, donned a few headscarves and made up the motley crew below. Even the on-board teddy got an eye-patch. Well, we couldn't have left him out, could we?


That stripy pirate costume has had a few outings since 2005, this year being worn by my son-in-law at my grandson's birthday party. Not bad for something that cost under £1 to make.

Such happy memories and if you enjoy a story or two, why not pop over to Sian's place and join in the fun. You will be glad you did.

20 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a fantastic photograph! I love the term "fancy dress." It's not one we use here.
Rinda

Jennie Hart said...

Can you tell me how you get your life please? :D It sounds brilliant. Yes, a great value outfit.

Missus Wookie said...

Pirates are welcome at parties I find. Lovely story and I too adore the colours of fall in New England.

Ladkyis said...

I just love the eye patches! how clever. Healthy pirates.
Lovely story, thank you for sharing

Sian said...

..and does this mean you are an enthusiatic supporter of International Talk Like a Pirate Day? :) Wonderful photos and costumes - it's obvious that much fun was had all round. And friends from Rhode Island? What a lovely place it is! I went as a teenager and took my husband back years later. It's beautiful.

Becky said...

Pirate parties were a favourite when the children were younger here! Love the photos :-)

humel said...

lol - brilliant :) I think those 'throw something together' costumes are the best kind! The Tomboy has been a last-minute-pirate on occasion - easy enough, as she has several t-shirts with skull and crossbones motifs...

Miriam said...

What a lovely picture of you all in the head scarves and eye patches! Great story.

debs14 said...

That impromptu costume has certainly been useful! Great photos.

Alison said...

What fun pics...and how I envy you doing New England in the Fall..it's on my 'bucket list'!
Alison xx

Melissa said...

Well you certainly do have a penchant for dressing as a pirate - such fun photos & memories!!

scrappyjacky said...

It all looks so much fun....pirates never go out of fashion.

Louise said...

lol! great story and brilliant photos. I've never been a pirate, i'm always the wench!! lol!

Karen said...

I don't think you can beat a good pirate costume. Love yours.

Jennifer Grace said...

Great photos, I like dressing like a pirate too, it's fun to talk pirate! Yarrrr!

I'd love to go to New England in the fall. Autumn does not seem to happen where I live. One day the trees are green, and the next the leaves are on the ground, muddy and mouldy. No pretty colours, grr!

Lisa-Jane said...

I would love to see Fall in New England - I like how your costume had all the Autumnal colours too!

Wanda said...

Sharing special events with family and friends makes them that much more special. It seems you have a talent in that direction...

Elizabeth said...

Loved the photos--loved the story. Costume parties are the best!

Ginger said...

Genius! Great eye patches :)

I hope to travel to New England in the Fall at least once in my life too :)

Jo said...

Great photos of you dressed up and great memories too. My daughter who's now 18 still insists she wants to be a pirate when she grows up! :)