Monday, 17 September 2012

Just a Simple Moment?

When Alexa at Trimming the Sails mentioned the idea of jotting down a specific minute sometime during the 15th of September, it captured my attention. It is something I have been meaning to do. Capturing the here and now. If you wish to join in, here is a link to Simply a Moment and some useful hints about recording your moment. 



It is Saturday morning and in an hour's time, I will be taking my granddaughter to her ballet lesson. I have wandered outside, enjoying the unusual warmth of an Autumn morning. This is what I wrote at 8:15 a.m.

I am feeling fuzzy, my head stuffed full of HTML coding. I am pondering about why I am challenging myself with all this. At my age, do I really need to know this stuff? HTML coding is a clever beast, I can understand that. But it is darned complicated. What is driving me on to do this?  My mum comes into my head and I think about how bright she was and how her intelligence was wasted. She never had the chances in life that I do now. When she stopped doing the crossword, when she stopped being interested... She was so very proud of me and my achievements. As I sip my tea, I look up and see a friendly Robin come to join me. Not a care in the world.

The minute is up. I cannot believe all the thoughts that came tumbling out. Time to head off to ballet. To embrace my granddaughter and watch her gracefully float around a hall. 

Thank you Alexa for suggesting this exercise in writing. The time restraint certainly brings clarity to one's thoughts.

10 comments:

Sian said...

And maybe, just maybe, some time in the future you'll start designing blogs with that coding knowledge and you'll look back and smile at the beginnings

Elizabeth said...

I loved your moment of thought. Ideas float in and out of our minds all day long. If we took a minute to write something down each day we would accomplish quite a lot. As for your studying HTML, good for you. It is not an easier subject. I say, keep learning until there is nothing left to learn, and then invent something!

Beverly said...

Wonderful moment in time, love how one thought just flows into another. I am sure your mom would be very proud of you continuing on the journey of learning.

alexa said...

I am so touched by your moment: how it connected you not just with now, but with what has been, and how it has influenced you - and how it may take you forward despite the difficulties into a whole new world. More power to your elbow, as my grandmother used to say!

Amy said...

I have really enjoyed your ponderings Irene, especially the connections you have made with your Mum.

scrappyjacky said...

I too love all the connections you made in this one moment....and it's a beautiful picture.

Cheri said...

yep, a lot of things can come in and out of our minds in a minute and I think you've captured it beautifully!

Louise said...

a captured moment that sounds so lovely... x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Very lovely . . . I like how your thoughts turned to your mother and her time.
Rinda

Gloria said...

Enjoyed your thoughts Irene and how wonderful it is to be able to treasure moments. Thanks.