Saturday, 15 September 2012

Decluttering... or Not

I am having a bit of a sort out at home. There are some things I just cannot bear to part with. Do you feel the same? It has nothing to do with their value but more their worth to me. They are worthy for purely sentimental reasons, and I love a little sentimentality. 

This typewriter is a case in point. 



The typewriter belonged to Uncle Freddie, who I mentioned here and here. It accompanied him to Uganda and back and I am privileged to have some correspondence that he typed on this very machine. How could anyone put a value on that?

Inside the lid there is a guarantee in which it says: This Guarantee does not cover defects due to accident during transport, or to unfair treatment. I imagine that Remington will be delighted to know that this typewriter survived  a sea/overland journey to Uganda, a flight back home, and several house moves and is still in immaculate order.  


If you have a love of old typewriters and fonts, I found this wonderful site called Uppercase. You can look through their latest magazine here. There are lots of historical facts to read about typewriters and I was delighted to see that June 23 was International Typewriter Day. To celebrate, a number of cakes were baked and you can see them here. They are truly amazing. I couldn't have borne cutting into them. 

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. 

8 comments:

Sian said...

I love this! One of these dyas I am going to bring from my Mum's my dad's typewriter which is a similar colour, probably about the smae age and travelled with him to Nigeria and back :)

Elizabeth said...

I completely understand. I still have my grandfather's old Royal portable from the 1930's. No way would I part with it.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I definitely love hanging on to certain things when I am decluttering.
Rinda

Alison said...

There are some things that have just too much sentimental value to ever part with!
Alison xx

alexa said...

This is far too precious to be clutter! This is history, to be cherished and cared for :). And so lovely that you clearly do.

Starnitesky said...

I still have 3 old typewriters - I cannot part with them!

Karen said...

I gave my typewriter away, and have always regretted it. A friend in North Carolina is saving her old one for me, and the next time I visit, I'll be bringing it home.

Louise said...

you have reminded me that i had an old typewritter, a present from my nan. I have no idea what happened to it!

It is so lovely to have something and the memories to go with it x