Friday, 20 July 2012

Scavenging about

The Scavenger Hunt continues as we head into the Summer holiday. My granddaughter's first year at school ended yesterday. Just how that year passed so quickly, is a mystery to me. Just occasionally though, time really can stand still, in a mystifying way, when you enter a maze or labyrinth. 


Over the years, I have sought them out and have never been disappointed. Some have lovely names, though it is their patterns that I am drawn to. I have a couple of books about Mazes and Labyrinths, and a really lovely little one published by Wooden Books Ltd that has a simple brown paper cover that I couldn't resist.






In 2011, the Stansted Estate opened their new Yew Maze to the public and as my grandchildren love to go there, I didn't need an excuse to take them to check out the Maze.




Being rather on the short side, I asked a passing gardener to take the above shot for me. I think you can just about see the breaks in the hedging. It certainly needs a trim.

One of my all time favourite Mazes is the one in Barcelona at Parque del Laberinto de Horta, mainly because it was such a surprise find. The Horta Maze sits magnificently in the grounds of an aristocrat's family home (now owned by Barcelona City Council) but below it is a heavily populated residential concrete jungle. On a clear day though, you can see all the way down the mountain to the sea. The Maze has many twists and turns but when I eventually reached the centre of it, there was a seat that offered up such a peaceful, reflective space, I could have sat there for hours.


The Horta Maze

Just one more find for the List is a roadside stall.




It may not be sunny here on the South Coast, but there is always time for Pick Your Own. Who can resist strawberries and raspberries at this time of the year?


Back again soon with more finds. Thank you again Rinda for organising this pleasurable Hunt.

6 comments:

Sian said...

PYO is a favourite activity round here too - even when it rains: it's squelchy, but fun

Elizabeth said...

Since I discovered the town near me has a labyrinth, I've walked it about a dozen times now. Each time I walk it, I feel such peace it is almost overwhelming.

Karen said...

I would love to have a labyrinth near me. It's one of the few photos I still have to take. Yours are gorgeous!

Alison said...

If only I'd known about that park when I was in Barcelona! Lovely pics Irene...and glad to hear it's sunny today!!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

There's nothing better than PYO....and nothing better than British strawberries!
At least today...it is sunny on the South coast!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Fantastic! We only have small stone labyrinths around here, not ones made of yew.
Rinda