Sunday, 6 May 2012

Time to be Bold

Last month, I didn't manage to join Storytelling Sunday. If you pop over to Sian's blog, From High in the Sky, settle yourself down with a cuppa or maybe something stronger (!) and enjoy a jolly good read. You might even think about adding a story or two of your own? You will be very welcome I am sure.


This week, as I have adjusted to my younger daughter's departure to her own home (she is doing really well, in case you are wondering), and getting back into full granny mode, my thoughts have turned to a story for this Sunday. It is about myself.


I have a confession. At the age of 66, I have decided to become a surface pattern designer. I joined an e-course The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design run by two wonderfully talented ladies, Rachael Taylor and Beth Nicholls. I cannot begin to tell you what a fantastic experience it has been. I have always loved patterns; from those I first stitched as a small girl, the shape of letters, book covers, those drawn by nature, all the incredible bolts of fabric lined up on the shelves, especially those used for quilting, all stationery. You get the picture. But the course is about so much more. The nuts and bolts of the surface pattern industry are fully explained, lots of insight into designers and their studios, links to more than I could possibly have imagined when the course began. Rachael and Beth are so sharing. Each week, there have been bonus technical workshops that have blown my mind. I have previously only worked with Photoshop and had no experience of Illustrator. These flowers represent my first attempts at using the pen tool. I have lots of drawings too that I am learning to trace and use as surface designs and will be sharing those at a later date.


Now here's the nitty gritty of the confession. For some reason, I have not felt able to share any of my designs and drawings here on my blog. I think it is about time I did. If I am to get anywhere with my designs, I must overcome the fear of feeling inadequate, an impostor among my peers. This isn't the first time in my life I have felt such incompetence even when people have told me that they love things I have made. So, I have reasoned that there is no better time than when among this friendly blogging community to make a start and and sort out those gremlins for good.


What do you think?


  

18 comments:

Sabrina S. said...

Hi,
What a lovely post. You are doing something that makes you bloom and that's the most important thing. Bravo!
Have a nice Sunday,
Cheers from France

Sian said...

I think we need to see more..and more..and more! I'd love to hear more about your whole learning experience with this. It sounds fascinating. Hurray for getting stuck in and learning something new - who knows where it will take you?

Ladkyis said...

I love the clean lines and non grungey design. I really don't like this fashion for dirty looking stuff so clean and fresh is for me please.

I will now confess to a degree of envy at your ability to draw a recognisable flower - oh how I wish I could do that. I love your design. Thank you for sharing.

Missus Wookie said...

Congratulations on starting something that fascinates you and sounds great fun too. Do share what you've learned - the best way to know you've learned it properly is to teach it.

Nothing wrong with starting a new career at 66, my parents are retiring from one Q job and heading off to another and they're a couple of years older.

furrypig said...

congratulations on getting to do something you love and being brave enough to try it! Would love to see more of your work... go girl!

Karen said...

I think your design us absolutely delightful. Well done you!

helena said...

I love your design and would love to see and hear more of your new adventure. so inspiring to be embarking on such an adventure in your 60s

Becky said...

Well done to you for trying something new and I really love your flowers - they are so pretty.

Barbara Eads said...

I think undertaking a new endeavor at 66 is just fantastic. You have already overcome the hardest obstacle as far as confidence is concerned. I'm a stitcher myself---and rely on people like you to come up with the designs. Great work and good luck!

Jennie Hart said...

Good for brave you. The age thing is in your mind i'm sure, but really, just go for it. You will be happier for trying.

Yes, a blog series would be great to show us how it is going...maybe once a month on the first sunday of the month?

Alison said...

Well done Irene..on taking on new venture, and of producing such a fabulous first piece!..I for one, would love to see more!
Alison xx
PS..am hoping to get your Mail Art off later this week!

humel said...

Good for you :) This design is so pretty - can't wait to see more!

Sandie said...

I was interested in doing that course but I knew I didn't have time and didn't want to have another course incompleted. I'm glad you are enjoying it and learning so much.
I'm so glad too that you shared your work, it is lovely and I look forward to seeing more.

Cheri said...

Kudos to you for starting something that really interests you, never mind your age! And I'm impressed that what you've shown is only a first attempt. It looks wonderful!

Chipper said...

I think you should go for it!! I admire you for taking on such an exciting challenge. If your flowers are anything to go by your designs are going to be amazing! I would love to have your skill.

Ifa said...

Well done on posting your work. I think it is gorgeous. I hope you have now worked up more courage to share. Thank you for sharing.

Jane said...

keep at it, you've obviously got talent x

Jimjams said...

WOW - those blooms are beautiful - and how cool to be starting something so new in your "third" age! Looking forward to more - and I'm going to "follow" you now so that I don't miss anything!

P.S."Beautio" is one of the words for word verification - how appropriate!