Monday, 14 May 2012

Play time


I have been playing around with patterns and following some of the tutorials on my course The art and business of surface pattern design (see link on my side-bar) and attempting repeat patterns. I have always respected how designers can place together patterns and colours and now find myself admiring them even more. Learning Illustrator is an ongoing process for me; as yet nothing comes naturally and I have to keep reverting back to the course notes. But I will persist, because the satisfaction when it all goes well, is immense. Here is a sample of some of my latest efforts.


If I tell you that I have fallen in love with gingham, would you be surprised? I have made it up in every colourway possible. There is something so 'fresh' about its appeal whatever fashion dictates. I am going to play around with it a bit more, maybe place it behind some of my flower drawings. I was a sucker for seersucker when I was young. I wonder if I can replicate that in Illustrator? Watch this space!


Back to the drawing board for me. Enjoy your day. 

3 comments:

Sian said...

I love gingham - especially in slightly unusual colourways like grey. Lovely!

Alison said...

YEs, there is just 'something' about gingham, isn't there? Am very impressed by what you're achieving
Alison xx

alexa said...

I love gingham too, and remember seersucker fondly - never needed ironing! I'm doing the course too, so hope to see you there!