Sunday, 4 March 2012

What's a Dot between friends?

About five years ago, a friend of mine was visiting her daughter in France. The daughter and her family had just moved back there after a working stint in Africa and were not yet on line. We arranged that I would email her via her son-in-law (who I will call Fred Bloggs for the purpose of this story), which I duly did a few days later.  


Imagine my surprise when I received an email from someone informing me that he was Fred Bloggs but not my friend's son-in-law. The gentleman writing to me said that he couldn't help observing from my email that I was about to visit Leicestershire for my godson's wedding and asked whether I was from those parts. I wrote back to let him know that I had, in fact, missed out an important 'dot' in the email address. He was FredBloggs at somewhere.fr and I should have addressed it to Fred.Bloggs at somewhere.fr. I also said that I did indeed know Leicestershire well having lived and worked there in the 1960's. He wrote back again and we established that not only had we lived in villages next door to each other, but the village pub had been our regular haunt and, more importantly, we knew one another!






Move on to a couple of months later, and the friend who had been in France was now in hospital in Hampshire. Another friend offered to accompany me to the hospital to see my sick friend. We were stuck in an horrendous traffic jam on the M3 and to while away the time, I told her the story of the missing 'dot'. She asked me what was the name that had caused all the confusion and when I told her, she informed me that she knew the Fred Bloggs without the dot as her daughter had dated his son. For once in my life, I was speechless!


So be careful where you place the 'dot'. You never know where it might lead to.


As it's the first Sunday of the month, I am joining in with Sian's Storytelling Sunday. Please feel free to pop on over there and enjoy some jolly good reads. Better still, join in. They are a very friendly bunch.

20 comments:

Jimjams said...

Oh the randomness of the internet often amazes me - the world is indeed a VERY small place

RNBsmom said...

I love it! I'll be careful.

Amanda said...

It's a small world. You story seems full of amazing coincidences. I will check my dots carefully.

Sian said...

Wow! I just love a coincidence (or two or three) - it makes the world seem such an interesting and intriguing place. This is a great story Irene - wouldn't it make the basis for a brilliant film? Thanks for sharing it on Storytelling Sunday

Julie Kirk said...

That's brilliant! I do *love* stories like this!

You've remnded me of how my mother-in-law is now very good friends with someone who phoned her a few times as a wrong number - which is strange enough - but then it turned out that this lady once lived in the house next door to me when I was growing up!

:-)

Louise said...

what are the chances of that happening. It really is a small world.

furrypig said...

that is a brilliant story of co-incidence

Missus Wookie said...

Amazing story! Fun to have found friends all because of a dot :)

Ruth said...

I'm another who loves stories like this. Did you ever meet Fred Bloggs?

Alison said...

What a small world indeed..a lovely story...thanks for stopping by my blog
Alison xx

Sabrina S. said...

Wow, nice story. The world is indeed a small place.
Cheers from France

Ginger said...

I guess that is what they refer to 6 degrees of separation! Wow! what a wonderful story :)

Amy said...

Oh goodness, this is just fantastic! I love stories of coincidence.

Miriam said...

Oh I just love this sort of coincidence, what a wonderful story and all because of a dot.

Jane said...

lol great story, the world is a small place!

S said...

How cool is that - even with the world wide web of the internet it's a small world.

Amy said...

As they say, its a small world! I shall make sure to check my dots in future, or maybe I won't and see where it leads!

Jo said...

Amazing story, thanks for sharing

Chipper said...

WOW! Definitely less than 7-degrees of seperation there!

Lizzie said...

Goodness, who'd have guessed the power of that one small piece of punctuation!

How nice though, that a tiny typing error has put you back in touch - even briefly - with an old aquaintance.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving lovely comments about my trees. Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you!