Saturday, 18 February 2012

Saturday Stitching Memories-2

Continuing on with the embroidery theme I wrote about here, during my late teens, the embroidery fell by the wayside for quite a number of years due to being introduced to a sewing machine by my grandmother. There were clothes to be made! 


I finally re-commenced hand stitching after the births of my two daughters. By then, I had discovered patchwork and would add embroidery to crazy patchwork squares. I still have a few samples of embroidered squares that I made




I would use scraps of fabric and sometimes dye my own.




Now I use embroidery in a very different fashion to those early days. It is more about creating art with the stitch.


This is a section of a piece I have stitched about our local beach.


There is something very satisfying and therapeutic about the rhythm of stitching that is difficult to describe. I do feel that being creative in any shape or form - be it through art, scrapbooking, knitting, music, poetry, or whatever - is a blessing, for it is easy to lose oneself into that medium and forget any outside pressures.


I will be back next Saturday with some more stitching memories. In the meantime, whatever your craft, enjoy it to the maximum.


Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Sian said...

You are one very talented lady!