Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Time for Change?

The beginning of a New Year is an opportunity to reflect on the year that has ended and on any areas of one's life that might benefit from change. Would I, could I, do things differently in twenty-twelve? 


The past year has been an interesting one for me, dominated by my younger daughter's illness, where I became her carer. It has been hard watching her daily struggles, and thankfully, the year end has seen her taking small steps to recovery.  My elder daughter returned to work and asked me if I could assist more in taking care of my grandchildren, which I gladly do. I can think of nothing more pleasurable than being a grandmother. I do love being a mother and although both girls are married with their own responsibilities, I still continue in that mothering role to be anxious about them. We are very close. The role of Granny, however, allows me to be much more frivolous! So would I change anything about these arrangements? My wish for 2012 is that my younger daughter's health improves to a level whereby she is able to live in her own home, start driving again and enjoy life. How wonderful that would be for her and my son-in-law. 


One of the best decisions I made in 2011 was to create this blog. It has brought me much happiness. In the main, I have found the blogging community to be such a sharing, caring, supportive group of people, with a wealth of stories and ideas that I look forward to each day. We may never meet and yet they are friends; there is a human touch to commenting on a blog post that feels so very personal. I have to confess, I do love a handwritten letter and treasure anything written by my family, but receiving a warm response to a blog post, gives one a certain pleasure and because of this, if I could make any changes to the blog this year, it would be to find a way to encourage more dialogue with like-minded bloggers.


During the year, I took quite a few on-line classes. Some were very successful, others not so much, but all provided the opportunity to keep on learning. I still have two modules that begin at the end of January for The Art of Business and Surface Design and I am really looking forward to those and seeing what opportunities arise from the course. I sat on the fence for a while about Ali Edwards One Little Word and have now decided to join in. I have chosen the word choice or, I should say, it chose me. This year, I have some choices to make as to my future. Some large, some small, and I am hoping that the word will guide me to make the right choices as I move on in 2012.


I am looking forward to all that 2012 brings, its challenges as well as its pleasures. Most of all, I wish you a very happy, healthy, and productive New Year!

3 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

Hello. I just dropped by to say of course you're welcome to join in with My Month in Numbers - if you have a look here http://notesonpaper.blogspot.com/p/months-in-numbers.html there's some hints and tips you might find useful [or else just do what feels right to you].

But while I'm here, I'd like to wish you a very happy new year and wish your daughter a continued recovery.

Julie :-)

alexa said...

Hoping that your daughter continues to get better throughout this year ... and delighted to find another lover of grandmotherhood!

dogmatix said...

Hi thanks for visiting my blog. The oldest 2 understand the boss's number system and #2 responds accordingly lol. #3 and #4 are too young and dont really know the boss very well so are not accustomed to their 'nicknames'. I am looking forward to when they do though :)

Sounds like you have had a mixed year but you sound very positive. I hope your daughters recovery continues and that this year is good to you.

Happy New Year