Thursday, 6 October 2011

Family History

There seems a strange conundrum to getting older. I now seem to spend more time looking back than looking forward! That's not to say that I don't still have plenty of things I would like to do in the future, more that I have the time now to reflect upon my life and those of my ancestors.


In 2008, I started to research our family history. It has been an interesting journey so far, with many trips to Records Offices, Newspaper Archives, Museums, Churches, Graveyards, on-line genealogy sites, corresponding with unknown relatives and people who have generously shared information with me. 


Being someone who likes to journal, I searched around for a suitable system to record some of the information I found, and also somewhere to exhibit family photographs.  I found a project that Ali Edwards runs on the Big Picture Classes site called Yesterday-Today and it fitted my requirements perfectly.  There were plenty of places for photographs and lots of spaces for journaling. The pages could be done both digitally or in a traditional scrapbook way. I have chosen to make digital pages and when I have finished the book, I can then have the pages printed and give a copy to each of my daughters. Needless to say, I am way behind on the project. Life does that sometimes, doesn't it? Gets in the way!! But I know this is one project I will finish for it's a project near to my heart. Just look at some of the photographs, what stories they can tell.
Yesterday



Click on the photo to enlarge it

The photographs show four generations of the family; son, parents and brother, grandparents and great-grandparents. In 1908, two sisters were married, months apart, but oh! how different they look. Both photographs were taken in the garden of their home. The parent's more modern marriage took place in 1937, prior to World War II. I love how the photographs show their different dress styles. The journaling is in the grey box behind Ali's 'art word' but is hidden as it contains names and dates.

Today



The above photograph shows the three generations of today; grandparents, parents, Aunt and Uncle and the grandchildren. These two pages will be opposite each other in the album. Time spans between the generations but we are not so very different. All getting on with our lives to the best of our abilities and at the core of it all, the family link that binds us all together. These are happy moments.

The digital papers are from Paislee's Serendipity range and the word art and strips from Ali's class downloads. 


I hope you have enjoyed this trip down memory lane? There is more to come! Have a wonderful Thursday. x



No comments: